Lunch and Learn with a Legislator (Rockford)
Monday, Dec. 9
The NIU Alumni Association invites you to learn more about Illinois state politics, how state government functions and the role and presence NIU has in state government from noon-1:15 p.m. on Dec. 9. Speakers include Illinois State Representative and NIUAA board member Joe Sosnowski, Illinois State Representative Maurice West, NIU Chief of Staff Matt Streb and NIU State Legislative Liaison Jenna Mitchell. This event will take place at the Thunder Bay Grille, 7652 Potawatomi Trail, Rockford.
- 11:30–11:55 a.m.: Check-in.
- 11:55 a.m.–noon: Welcome.
- Noon–12:20 p.m.: Introductory overview of Illinois’ legislative session and policy creation. Presented by Matt Streb, Ph.D, NIU Chief of Staff and Liaison to the Board of Trustees, Office of the President.
- 12:20–12:40 p.m.: Springfield from a legislator’s perspective. Presented by State Representative Joe Sosnowski and State Representative Maurice West.
- 12:40–1 p.m.: Northern Illinois University in Springfield. Presented by Jenna Mitchell, NIU State Legislative Liaison, Office of the President.
- 1–1:15 p.m.: Question and answer session.
The presentation is $10 and includes lunch.
- Thunder Bay Chicken Salad Sandwich: Chicken, grapes, pecans, lettuce and tomato, on toasted everything bread, served with homemade chips.
- Warm Goat Cheese Salad: Pecan crusted goat cheese, green apple, carrots, blue cheese, mixed greens, crostini, balsamic vinaigrette.
- Chicken Caesar Salad: Romaine, garlic croutons, asiago cheese, Caesar dressing and grilled chicken.
- Turkey Burger: Baby arugula, roasted garlic mayo, feta and tomato, on a brioche bun, served with chips.
Attendees have the option to receive one credit of continuing education credit for attending. The cost for the certificate is $5.
**ALL SALES FINAL – NO REFUNDS**