How to Give
There are several ways to make your gift to the NIU Foundation to benefit Northern Illinois University.
- Cash or check (payable to “Northern Illinois University Foundation”)
In person: NIU Foundation - Altgeld Hall 134 DeKalb, IL 60115
By mail: NIU Foundation - PO Box 746 DeKalb, IL 60115
- Credit card (Visa, MasterCard, Discover, and American Express). Online or call our toll-free number, 1-877-GIV-2NIU (1‑877-448-2648)(Please do not e-mail or fax credit card information as that is not a secure method of communication)
- Publicly traded stock
- Closely held securities
- Mutual fund shares
- Gift in kind/tangible personal property equipment, art, books, etc. items that are “related use”)
- Real estate
- Planned gifts/deferred gifts, such as
– Charitable gift annuity
– Charitable remainder trust
– Charitable lead trusts
– Life insurance policies (whole or term)
– IRA beneficiary designation
The Northern Illinois University Foundation is designated a non-profit under section 501(c)(3) as per letter ruling dated 1955.
Definition of a gift: an irrevocable, unconditional, delivered and accepted contribution.
Endowments generate earnings, a portion of which supports scholarships, teaching, programming, research, the libraries, and athletics. The principal is invested for the long term, sustaining Northern throughout even the most uncertain times. You can direct your gift to support a particular interest or to be used where the need is greatest.
Through thoughtful estate planning, you can ensure that the important people and favorite causes in your life receive what you intend after you’re gone. The tools and resources on this site can help you learn more about preparing an effective estate plan and planning a gift to NIU.
To learn more about how you can make a difference at NIU, contact our gift planning department at 815-753-7470.